"a fortunate stroke of serendipity"

Monday, July 22, 2013

''We might be best friends but he still tries not to smile when he sees me...''

At the orphanage/school we are constantly surrounded by a million little kids pulling us every direction.

Yesterday, I had two little girls tugging at my hair- trying to put it into braids, Theo at my side talking in my ear, and another girl drawing a huge tattoo on my arm in blue marker. All the while I'm cringing and saying, ''Ok, ok be soft with Obruni* hair, and Theo stop being so sassy.'' (Oh by the way Theo is the most darling/sassy little boy ever, I liked him instantly... we might be best friends but he still tries not to smile when he sees me.)

Some of the kids can be so naughty. Today I came out of the house with my water bottle and all the school children surrounded me asking for water. It might seem cruel but I said ''no'' because I just saw them drink water at school lunch five minutes ago and they only wanted MY water because it was in a green bottle that they have some sort of fascination with.  I kept telling them ''No'' but they were relentless. We compromised when I told them to get their water bottle out and I'd fill it with my water. This satisfied them and me for a moment since they immediately ran away. But you know what they did?
First, all the boys gathered around fighting for the bottle and then the one that got it ran straight to an innocent bystander, eating his lunch, and poured it on his head! You can imagine my my reaction. They got a word or two from me.
Anyway... it's great here, most the time. Really good growing experience for sure, hopefully it helps me with my future mothering skills.

*white person

That's Theo pulling at my hair 


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig